Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Butterflies & Peonies

Memory Box has another challenge . . .and you know how I love a challenge!

Maychallenge
I created this card using the Avezzano Butterflies and the Budding Peony dies . . . or pieces of them, anyway.  That's one of the many things I love about Memory Box dies.  So many of them can be used as they are, or they can be cut apart into smaller pieces.


There were definitely a few steps involved, but I'm so happy with how it turned out!  All that glittery goodness!


These are the markers I used:


This particular technique is one that I've taught many times and these dies . . . with the fine lines and all the detail . . . oh, how my heart fluttered! I knew they would be perfect for all this glittery goodness.

I know, I know . . . a video would be so much better for a tutorial, but I'm not set up for that (yet).

And, truthfully, I was just going to post the card without a tutorial, but changed my mind, because someone out there might like to learn how I did this.

So, here it goes.

Supply List:
  • Detailed die(s) like those that I used from Memory Box
  • Clear Double Sided Adhesive by Elizabeth Craft Designs
  • Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter by Elizabeth Craft Designs (yes, the glitter makes all the difference. I've tried this technique with other glitters and they just don't work as well)
  • Various colors of Copic Markers (I've only ever done this technique with Copics. I don't know if other markers will work.)
  • Scraps of White card stock

Step 1: 
Die cut the small butterfly twice and the peony three times.


Step 2:
Trim the frame away from the butterflies and cut apart the peonies. I also trimmed around the top of the butterfly wings.


Step 3:
Apply Transparent Double Sided Adhesive to a piece of white cardstock.


Remove backing to expose adhesive on the front of cardstock and set the backing aside; you'll need that in a minute.

Step 4:
Place the butterflies on top of the exposed adhesive.  


Step 5:
Place the backing on top of the butterflies and rub over them really well to make sure they are stuck to the adhesive.

You can kind of see the butterflies under the brown release paper

Step 6:
Remove the release paper and pour glitter over the butterflies.

I have a tray that I use for glittery projects.  There is a sheet of fabric softener in the bottom of the tray to help reduce static.  The coffee filter creates a catch so it's easy to pour left over glitter back in to the jar and also helps reduce static.
Step 7:
Using your finger, "burnish" the glitter by rubbing in a circular motion over the entire surface.  The goal is to keep burnishing until you no longer feel any stickiness from the adhesive.  Shake off the excess glitter and then use a soft brush to get rid of the remaining glitter bits.

Step 8:
Time to add color!  But before we start, this is very important: do not color in a back and forth or circular motion; this will cause the glitter to start moving around. You literally want to dab the tip of the marker to the surface.  





And there ya have it. . . your butterflies are all colored!

Moving on to the peonies . . . the steps are pretty much the same, but here's how I figured out the layout and whatnot.

I positioned the peonies on a piece of white card stock and then used Scotch Removable Tape to hold them in place.



Next, I lightly traced with a pencil around the blooms so I would know where to place them after I put the adhesive on the card stock.  I left the removable tape on the blooms to make it easier to put them back into place.


After I put the adhesive on the card stock and repositioned the peonies, I gently pressed the peonies so they would stick, but was careful not to press too hard on the removable tape, because, well . . . I  wanted it to be removable and that Elizabeth Craft adhesive is super sticky.

Once I peeled off the removable tape, I put the release paper over the blooms and rubbed them really well into the adhesive, like I did in Step 5 for the butterflies.

Then, it was just a matter of repeating Steps 6, 7, and 8.

And, here's how I colored the peonies:












To finish up the card, I stenciled clouds using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink onto a piece of 3.5" x 4.5" white card stock. Then, I fussy cut the butterflies and fussy cut around the peonies.  I adhered the peonies using my ATG and used foam tape to adhere the butterflies.

I adhered that panel to a piece of 3 5/8" x 4 5/8" black card stock and then adhered it to my card base. Here's the completed card one more time.



Thanks for stopping by today . . . and if you decide to try this technique, please share your creations. I would love to see them!  And, of course, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me; I'd be happy to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

10